Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The crowd pleaser - Interview with The Bento Bus' Carly Bulaga

By Jocelyn Stewart

I recently had the pleasure of interviewing Carly Bulaga, an employee of Atlanta’s Bento Bus. The Bento Bus is a Japanese street food truck that I absolutely love. Carly mainly works the crowd for Bento Bus and I can’t think of a better person for the job. Every time I eat at the BB, Carly is always super friendly and polite. At the urging of a mutual acquaintance I decided to go ahead and interview her.

Enjoy!

Q. How long have you worked for Bento Bus and how did you get the job?

A. Surprisingly, I was the first employee for the Bento Bus! I have worked with them for the past few years but have taken time off the past year to finish school. I found the position by searching for food trucks in the area. Honestly, I researched 10-15 trucks and called/emailed to see if they were hiring. Luckily the Bento Bus was hiring (and they were my top choice!) They were on of my top choices because I wanted to step outside my comfort zone as far as culture and making delicious Japanese street food.

Q. Are you originally from ATL. How do you like the so called “hipster” scene of art lovers, foodies, and culturists in the city?

A. No, I am not originally from Atlanta.I absolutely love the hipster scene. I grew up in upstate NY and find comfort and joy when it comes to art, music and food. So, the hipster vibe is definitely within me and I enjoy these environments.

Q. What is your opinion of the food truck scene. Is it a fad or is it here to stay?

A. I think the food truck scene brings a lot of positive energy into communities. I enjoy watching family’s and friends come together, especially in the outdoors. Good people, good food, fun times. As my grandma would say to that, “Life is Good!” I believe and hope the food truck scene is here to stay.

Q. Would you ever open a food truck? If so, what kind?

A. I would love to open a food truck! I have wanted to be involved in the food industry every since my grandma and mom started to teach me how to cook and bake. I am not sure what kind of truck it would be but, it would definitely be fun, bold and eclectic. A multipurpose truck would be pretty cool. I’ll have to share those thoughts for another time!

Q. Do you want to do something different long term? Do you have other passions that you would like to delve into as a profession.

A. I am taking things one day at a time. I have many other interests and passions that I plan to delve into in the near future. I currently coach soccer and am looking to reach my goal by coaching at the high school and/or collegiate level.

Q. Besides Bento Bus, who has the best food truck in Atlanta?

A. Mmm….many have just crossed my mind but the first to come to mind was Happy Belly- brussel sprouts!!! They are the perfect side dish or entree if you’re not in the mood to share! Al dente, with just the right amount of sweet to salty ratio and char from the grill. Yum! Can you tell I’ve enjoyed them too much, haha. For dessert, Sno Bayou- any flavor is sure to be refreshing and cool on your palate during a hot summers day/night.

Q. Good food is great but a great staff is even better. Do you think the Bento Bus has so many repeat customers because of you guys’ awesome attitudes?

A. I consider myself very lucky to work alongside such an amazingly talented, hardworking and dedicated boss like Hanae, as well as my co-workers who are just as committed to make the Bento Bus great. It really makes a difference when you are surrounded by a team who wants to provide a great experience to customers as well as having fun while doing it.

Q. As a woman I absolutely love to see so many ladies on trucks. I see more women than men. Why do you think women are more prevalent on trucks than men?

A. It is great to see many women owning and working on food trucks. I think our society has become more accepting of women out in the forefront of businesses and it’s great to see this. I only hope for this to continue to grow in a positive direction.

Another Bento Bus interview? Now I kinda want to try it.

Comment

She seems nice. Food truck people usually are.

Comment

Not all. I went to a food truck in Tennessee and they were absolute asswipes

Comment

Asswipes in Tennessee? Shocker

Comment

Japanese street food sounds like heaven on earth right now. Where do they set up?

Comment

Check facebook

Comment

Cool. We need a KOURKE food truck

Comment

Originally posted by xxDannyDarkoxx View Post
                  Cool. We need a KOURKE food truck
                  Good idea

Menu:

hot pockets
                  cheetos
                  red kool-aid
                  Terms Of Service

Comment

Comment

I'm black!!!!!!!!!!
                      Terms Of Service

Comment

still racist

Comment

Terms Of Service

Comment

Comment

This reminds me of an Asian street food restaurant near my house. They actually set up a brick and mortar location for. Pretty good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X